Ever since Addison was diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder, I knew she would both love, and benefit from, a weighted blanket. She is a sensory seeker in every aspect of the word. She loves to feed her senses, whether it’s through jumping, yelling, running, crashing, or chewing. When she started Occupational Therapy, her therapist told me that she always goes right to the weighted blanket and she would greatly benefit from one at home.
The only problem with that is, they are freaking expensive, anywhere from $60 to over $100! That kind of money is just not in our budget, unfortunately. With my birthday coming up, Keith decided to buy me a sewing machine so that I could not only make a weighted blanket for Addie, but so that I could create a bunch of other things.
As soon as it came in, Addie and I took a trip to Joann’s so she could pick out her fabric. My little lady is obsessed with dinosaurs, so we found a cute dinosaur pattern and then she picked a pink fabric with white flowers.
What You’ll Need:
- Fabric (I used flannel, but cotton will work just as well). I only needed to get a yard of each since this is for my 3 year old, but it will need to be adjusted if you need a bigger one.
- Poly Pellets. These are the most expensive part of this project. I ended up using a 50% off coupon at Joann’s, so I paid around $5 for each 2 pound bag. You will need at least 10% of the child’s body weight, plus one pound. Since Addie is 40 pounds, I made a 5 pound blanket. (Note: You could also use dried beans, rice, or popcorn kernels as a cheaper alternate, however you would not be able to wash the blanket)
- A kitchen scale to weigh the pellets. I didn’t have one and kinda guestimated it by splitting them up into even containers. I ended up using about 1/4 cup in each pocket.
- A tube to get the pellets into the pockets. I used a vacuum tube, but you could also use a wrapping paper tube or a PVC pipe.
- Straight pins to hold the fabric in place
To get started, I ironed both of the fabrics and then pinned them in place so I could cut make sure they were the same size.
Sew alongside 3 of the corners, leaving the last corner open to put the beads into. Then you will want to stitch vertical columns all the way up. If your fabric does not have a pattern that you can follow, you can use a chalk pencil or even a washable marker so that your lines are straight. I had about 4-5 inches between my columns.
Once the columns were done, it was time to add the poly pellets! I added them into each row, and then sewed across to make a 4×4 square. Repeat until all of the columns are filled.
To finish, I serged the opening together. Addie could not wait to try it out, and she was definitely impressed!
Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions! This was such an easy project.. If I didn’t stop halfway through to take care of my kiddos I could have finished in about 2 hours.